Let’s set the stage…weed is now legal in your state. You’re excited to reacquaint yourself with your college past-time, or maybe you’re just excited to access all the different strains, methods of consumptions, and different form factors. Naturally, you’ll set out to find the best strain of herb to match your desired effect. Once you find that perfect mix of terps and you locked in your favorite dispensary, you’re all good right? Not so fast, there are many variables to consider, and the storage/preservation are among the most important. Unfortunately, few “experts” (i.e. budtenders) know about these nuisances or they forget to tell you about them.
The first thing to understand is that Cannabis grows naturally (like a weed) in some places, which are called “landrace” strains, meaning the plants have been conditioned to grow in these specific climates for thousands of years. Some landrace examples are Durban Poison in South Africa, Afghani in Afghanistan, the Truth in Jamaica, Acapulco Gold from Mexico, or Thai Stick from Thailand. Unless you live in these climates then you’ll likely need to provide an environment that mimics those climates in order for your top-shelf bud to stay in tip-top shape.
Strains that are not landraces are created by cultivators taking a male plant of one strain and pollinating a selected female plant, thus creating the hundreds of strains that exist now. Regardless of where the strain comes from, the bud will need to be stored and preserved properly, or the effects will change over time. Fortunately, STASHLOGIX, has solved this problem so your buds maintain their quality.
Our SmartJars take the guess work out of storing and preserving flower cannabis. Our SmartJars include a Boveda humidity packet that will maintain the proper humidity (about 60% +/- 5%) and the hygrometer sensor allows you to monitor it. Below is a list of the benefits of storing your cannabis/hemp at the proper humidity.
- Terpenes are preserved (terpenes are one of the most important properties because they provide the aroma, flavor, and how you receive THC through your body’s cannabinoid receptors). Terpenes will begin to evaporate immediately if proper care is not taken. Once terpenes are gone, they’re gone. You’ll lose 40% of the terpenes within a week unless proper care is taken.
- The cannabis smoke is smoother on your throat and lungs.
- The cannabis will burn slower, which means it will last longer.
- All of your friends in dry climates will envy your sticky-icky because its more fun to show off soft and squishy buds than the dried-out products that are found in Colorado and other arid climates.
The Boveda humidity packets we use are unique because they create water molecules that surround the flower, trapping the terpenes in. Cultivators go to painstaking lengths to grow the best cannabis they can, but they often neglect the importance of post-harvest care. I recently assisted with a backyard grow of Orange Creamsicle, which had a heavenly aroma, but after 4 weeks of curing the bud was extremely weak and was immediately shelved. Fast forward 7 months, the cannabis was retested and to our surprise the same cannabis now packed a HUGE punch. Lesson learned is that curing and proper storage are just as crucial as the actual growing process. My experience is mostly based on Colorado’s extremely dry climate, but the other side of the coin is not letting your cannabis get too humid, which leads to mold.
The easiest and most effective method for proper storage of cannabis/hemp is to use the Boveda packet that comes with our SmartJars (or to buy the 10-pack refills that we sell), but there are many other tried, tested, and true options that have been implemented long before Boveda came along. For decades, if not millenniums, people have used the following to achieve similar results.
- Orange peel/lemon peel - This is the most popular method because the essential oils that are transferred to you flower will add a great citrous flavor. Side note, be careful to not let the flower get on the inside of the peel because you won’t be able to get it off. I recommend leaving an orange peel in the same container but alongside your weed for the night and then remove the peel and check the humidity.
- Bread/tortilla- same process as the orange peel, set the bread in an airtight jar so the moisture content can transfer from the bread to the dried bud.
- Lettuce – Same process as the orange peel. Lettuce works great because a small piece has high water content, and it won’t alter the aroma of the flower.
- Damp paper towel – use distilled water to avoid any transfer of chemicals found in tap water into your weed.
If you’re using any of these household products to revive your cannabis then you’ll need to closely monitor your stash so it doesn’t get too humid. The safest method is using the Boveda humidity packets because it’s a two-way process, meaning it will add humidity in dry climates and remove humidity in humid climates.
A few other tips for storing cannabis. One, cannabis quality and performance can degrade with UV light so it’s best to purchase a Silverton from STASHLOGIX to store your SmartJars in a dark environment that is protected. Also, too high of heat can also degrade the quality of your flower, again the Silverton can help with this. Avoid storing your flower in a freezer because that can also alter your stash and change the effect – which is rumored to create a sleepier experience.
If you’re a little late to the game don’t worry, it’s not all a lost cause, you can still rehydrate your stash and bring it back to life, with any of the above options. You won’t be able to recover your terpenes, but it will bring it back to life.